We’re hiring a Community Engagement intern to join our team!
If you like to support the work of community organizers and want to help build the infrastructure for a community where residents have decision making power check out our latest open position. Check out the details below to learn more about the position and how to apply.
Job Title: Community Engagement Intern
Works with: Engagement Coordinator and Director
Status: Part-time, temporary
Community Engagement Intern
One Omaha is looking for an intern who enjoys working with grassroots organizers. Our organization recently developed a 3-year strategic plan and this position will support our focus area of developing community organizers. This involves helping with the creation of our mentorship initiative, coordinating events, and supervising our grant process for neighborhood advocacy groups.
About One Omaha
Founded in 2015, One Omaha supports the development of strong, connected communities through training, engagement, and place-based initiatives. We envision a community where residents have strong decision-making power in all areas and have the confidence to organize, mobilize, and advocate for a better quality of life. We create programs to address the lack of knowledge and resources available to community organizers.
This is an exciting time to join our team as One Omaha implements our new strategic plan and shifts away from a fiscal sponsor agreement with Civic Nebraska to become an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit.
- Handle event logistics for our organizer meet-ups, holiday party, Neighborhood Leadership Academy, and Civics Academy. This includes researching locations, promotion, event staffing, and communications.
- Supervise our revised mini-grant for neighborhood advocacy groups. This includes monitoring new applications, coordinating meetings to review, serving as the point of contact, and managing the contract process.
- Support the creation of our mentorship program with the Engagement Coordinator. This is a new initiative for our organization, we will encourage you to help envision what this program will look like. When the program is developed, this position will help with communications, recruitment, and platform supervision.
- Content creation for learning management system
The ideal candidate will possess the following experiences, skills, and qualities:
- Time management – the workload will vary depending on the week. Some will be demanding and other weeks you will need to fill your time.
- Ability to take on projects independently while also working as a member of a small team
- Communication – the ability to write emails and reports or orally present to groups
- Tech-savvy and comfortable with Google Drive, Slack, WordPress
- Passion to support community organizers and advocacy groups
- Ability to problem-solve through research, experience, or knowledge
- Capable of working with a diverse group of people
Compensation and Details
This position will earn $15/hour and work 15-20 hours per week. The internship will last until December 2021. One Omaha has a relaxed work schedule allowing staff to have greater wellbeing in and outside of work.
Applicants must write a paragraph about themselves and attach a resume in a single PDF to Alex O’Hanlon, One Omaha’s Engagement Coordinator at email@example.com no later than 5 pm on May 5th, 2021 . Questions can be directed to Alex O’Hanlon as well.
Civic Nebraska has a policy prohibiting discrimination against employees, directors or officers on account of race, color, age, sex, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or national origin. In addition, Civic Nebraska strictly prohibits retaliation/victimization against an employee for complaining about alleged discrimination and/or harassment.